james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Exception I18n...?
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 15:30:04 GMT
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Markus Wiederkehr
<markus.wiederkehr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ATM exceptions contain messages in english. for some upstream use
>> cases (in particular IMAP), it would be useful to be able to display
>> to the user an internationalised reasonably diagnostic message. the
>> actual i18n could be done upstream provided that this library supplied
>> more information.
>
> I am not sure if it is a good idea to confront the user with exception
> detail messages. I think details messages are often too technical for
> being of any value to the average user (no insult intended ;-).
>
> I usually handle this by only letting the user know that something
> went wrong. An administrator or technician can then look into the log
> files and see what's going on.

i agree to some extent. there are lots of cases when that's the only solution.

i can also understand why contacting an admin or technician is a
unnecessary cost in some cases. for example, if a field cannot be
parsed since it's badly formatted, this is just a data problem with
the email. i think this could sometimes be reasonably presented to the
user.

> But that's just my two cents.. What would you need to implement what
> you want? A unique tag for each exception? Easy for our own
> exceptions, difficult for system library exceptions.. And what about
> exception chaining?

i'm not so concerned about system library exceptions or chained ones -
these will usually indicate something that really needs the ops to
take a look to find out what's gone wrong. something as simple as an
enumeration or tag should be good enough to allow anyone who wants to
internationalise.

- robert