james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wiederkehr <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Exception I18n...?
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 10:07:48 GMT
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> ATM exceptions contain messages in english. for some upstream use
> cases (in particular IMAP), it would be useful to be able to display
> to the user an internationalised reasonably diagnostic message. the
> actual i18n could be done upstream provided that this library supplied
> more information.

I am not sure if it is a good idea to confront the user with exception
detail messages. I think details messages are often too technical for
being of any value to the average user (no insult intended ;-).

I usually handle this by only letting the user know that something
went wrong. An administrator or technician can then look into the log
files and see what's going on.

But that's just my two cents.. What would you need to implement what
you want? A unique tag for each exception? Easy for our own
exceptions, difficult for system library exceptions.. And what about
exception chaining?

Markus