james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: accented characters in e-mail addresses
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:52:43 GMT
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Ondrej Bojar <bojar@ufal.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
> Dear Markus,
>
> thanks for the explanation.
>
> From this I understand that the bug is in the way Mime4j is called from K-9
> (and Google's original Email client). Mime4j is meant for parsing header
> fields as they arrive, that is following the appropriate RFC for MIME.
> Mime4j is not intended for validation of header fields as they are presented
> to (or in my case entered by) the user.

one of the problems with the RFCs is that the IEFT working group
actively excludes use cases like this which concern mail processing
rather than mail transport. they have specific rules to be applied
when streaming bytes from a socket which are often unreasonable or
inconvenient in these cases.

IMHO a good MIME library should be able to handle both. some encodings
would be tricky but MIME headers should be 8-bit clean so UTF-8 should
be reasonably straight forward.

> Is there a method in Mime4j to encode UTF-8 to the 'encoded word' =?...?=?
> (I guess there is not.) Such a method would have to correctly handle *lists*
> of 'decoded' addresses and not create e.g.
>
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hans_=3Chans=40acme.org=3E,_Hans_M=FCller?=
> <hans.mueller@acme.org>
>
> from
>
> Hans <hans@acme.org>, Hans Müller <hans.mueller@acme.org>

encoding then decoding seems a little unnecessary. i think a
configuration setting (offline mode, perhaps) allowing the header
character set to vary would be a more elegant way to support this use
case.

opinions?

- robert

BTW if anyone from K-9 wants to join this discussion and doesn't want
to sign up for mime4j-dev, please open a JIRA (issues.apache.org) and
post comments there