james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wiederkehr <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: accented characters in e-mail addresses
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:58:33 GMT
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Ondrej Bojar <bojar@ufal.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
> Dear Markus,
>
> thanks for the explanation.
>
> From this I understand that the bug is in the way Mime4j is called from K-9
> (and Google's original Email client). Mime4j is meant for parsing header
> fields as they arrive, that is following the appropriate RFC for MIME.
> Mime4j is not intended for validation of header fields as they are presented
> to (or in my case entered by) the user.
>
> Is there a method in Mime4j to encode UTF-8 to the 'encoded word' =?...?=?
> (I guess there is not.) Such a method would have to correctly handle *lists*
> of 'decoded' addresses and not create e.g.

In Mime4j 0.6 there is
o.a.j.mime4j.codec.EncoderUtil.encodeEncodedWord() but I think we need
a better solution for this problem..

Up to release 0.5 Mime4j was mainly about parsing and decoding
messages and not so much about creating or manipulating messages. This
situation improved with 0.6 but apparently not enough. I'll open a
JIRA for parsing addresses that include special characters.

Markus

--
Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.