james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wiederkehr <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: accented characters in e-mail addresses
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:51:52 GMT
E-mail header fields may contain us-ascii characters only. To overcome
this restriction the "name" part of an e-mail address is usually
encoded by a mechanism called an "encoded word". Your mail client then
knows how to interpret these encoded words and is able to display the
original name.

Just look into the source code of your e-mails to see what I mean.
You'll occasionally see e-mail addresses such as
"=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hans_M=FCller?= <hans.mueller@acme.org>" which is
equivalent to "Hans Müller <hans.mueller@acme.org>".

Mime4j should be capable of decoding them too..

Markus