james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ondrej Bojar <bo...@ufal.mff.cuni.cz>
Subject Re: accented characters in e-mail addresses
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 23:20:35 GMT
Dear Markus,

thanks for the explanation.

 From this I understand that the bug is in the way Mime4j is called from K-9
(and Google's original Email client). Mime4j is meant for parsing header fields
as they arrive, that is following the appropriate RFC for MIME. Mime4j is not
intended for validation of header fields as they are presented to (or in my case
entered by) the user.

Is there a method in Mime4j to encode UTF-8 to the 'encoded word' =?...?=? (I
guess there is not.) Such a method would have to correctly handle *lists* of
'decoded' addresses and not create e.g.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hans_=3Chans=40acme.org=3E,_Hans_M=FCller?= <hans.mueller@acme.org>

from

Hans <hans@acme.org>, Hans Müller <hans.mueller@acme.org>

Thanks, Ondrej.

P.S. for myself or K-9 developers:
com/android/email/EmailAddressValidator.java:16
   should not call com.android.email.mail.Address.parse
   (or com.android.email.mail.Address.parse should first encoded UTF-8 prior to
   passing to to Mime4j)