james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ondrej Bojar <bo...@ufal.mff.cuni.cz>
Subject accented characters in e-mail addresses
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:45:40 GMT
Dear Mime4J developers,

I use android and both the builtin Email client and the K-9 replacement delete
e-mail addresses containing accented characters. (If say "Pétér
<peter@peter.com>" sends me an e-mail and I hit 'Reply', the 'To' field becomes
blank.)

I can barely read Java, but I understood from K-9 source they use your Mime4J
for e-mail address parsing (and thus validation).

I was not able to compile the code downloaded from your site (I know nothing
about Maven, I installed it but running 'mvn test' tried to download something
and failed.)

I compiled K-9 (the source of which includes a version of mime4j) and I guess
this exception is exactly the reason why they remove addresses with accented
characters:

22:39 vaio classes$java org.apache.james.mime4j.field.address.AddressList
 > Pétér <peter@peter.com>
Pétér <peter@peter.com>
org.apache.james.mime4j.field.address.parser.ParseException: Lexical error at
line 1, column 2.  Encountered: "\u00e9" (233), after : ""
         at
org.apache.james.mime4j.field.address.parser.AddressListParser.parse(AddressListParser.java:42)
         at
org.apache.james.mime4j.field.address.AddressList.parse(AddressList.java:116)
         at
org.apache.james.mime4j.field.address.AddressList.main(AddressList.java:132)

I've read your remark somewhere that you're deliberately not handling Base64 or
Quoted-Printable, but this is plain UTF-8 so that shouldn't pose a problem.

My question is simple: who should I blame ;-)

With apologies for a question from a non-Javist,
   Ondrej Bojar.

--
Ondrej Bojar (mailto:obo@cuni.cz / bojar@ufal.mff.cuni.cz)
http://www.cuni.cz/~obo