james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mime4j 0.6 preview packages
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2009 20:03:30 GMT
(i hope to do a proper review of the releases tomorrow)

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
<markus.wiederkehr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
>> Folks
>>
>> Please do take a few minutes to review the release notes, packages and
>> the updated web site for the upcoming 0.6 release.
>>
>> Release notes:
>> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/mime4j-0.6-preview/RELEASE_NOTES.txt
>
> I wonder if we should include any or all of the older notes from 0.4 and 0.5:
>
>  * Mime4j API is still considered unstable and is likely to change in
> future releases
>  * DOM support has known limitations and some roundtrip issues remain
> to be resolved
>  * Some low level functions are available only in the pull parser
> (recommended for
>   advanced users)
>
> I would opt for numbers 1 and 3;

+1

> number 2 should have been resolved
> sufficiently in the course of MIME4J-34..

probably worth saying something about 2, maybe

"The DOM API has been now been comprehensively refactored and the
known limitations addressed. Please report any remaining issues to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MIME4J."

we should probably add something about the known limitations of some
of the field parsing code, maybe something like

"0.6 contains a mixture of approaches to the parsing of advanced MIME
field types. Limitations are known with these approaches with some
relatively uncommon use cases. A consistent and comprehensive rewrite
is planned for 0.7 which should consolidate and address these."

- robert