james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mime4j 0.6 preview packages
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2009 20:03:30 GMT
(i hope to do a proper review of the releases tomorrow)

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
<markus.wiederkehr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
>> Folks
>> Please do take a few minutes to review the release notes, packages and
>> the updated web site for the upcoming 0.6 release.
>> Release notes:
>> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/mime4j-0.6-preview/RELEASE_NOTES.txt
> I wonder if we should include any or all of the older notes from 0.4 and 0.5:
>  * Mime4j API is still considered unstable and is likely to change in
> future releases
>  * DOM support has known limitations and some roundtrip issues remain
> to be resolved
>  * Some low level functions are available only in the pull parser
> (recommended for
>   advanced users)
> I would opt for numbers 1 and 3;

> number 2 should have been resolved
> sufficiently in the course of MIME4J-34..

probably worth saying something about 2, maybe

"The DOM API has been now been comprehensively refactored and the
known limitations addressed. Please report any remaining issues to

we should probably add something about the known limitations of some
of the field parsing code, maybe something like

"0.6 contains a mixture of approaches to the parsing of advanced MIME
field types. Limitations are known with these approaches with some
relatively uncommon use cases. A consistent and comprehensive rewrite
is planned for 0.7 which should consolidate and address these."

- robert

View raw message