james-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Use a Blog for news
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:18:49 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> Sorry, I don't understand this. I read on CWIKI pages that after a PMC
> agreed they can file a request for a confluence space using the INFRA
> JIRA. I think this is separate from volunteering to mantain things.

Yes, separate issues.  Confluence is a Wiki.  We already have Wiki space.
The other thing that Confluence is used for by some projects is to edit
their web-pages.  That is a far more controversial usage, frowned upon by
some parts of the ASF, used by others.  The key thing is Confluence
performance, which might be considered to be an oxymoron.  Accordingly, the
ASF restricts the use of Confluence; it is used only as an editor, then
static pages are exported, and served by httpd.

> Well, Confluence and JIRA are really similar: same company, same
> licensing.

Yes, I know.  Atlassian, which also acquired Cenqua (FishEye, Crucible, and
Clover).  Spoke with those guys today, in fact.

> I prefer Confluence to Roller because it would provide us better
> integration with JIRA

How so?  And have you made any suggestions to the Roller team about new
features?

> IMHO [Confluence] is a more complete tool that give us a blog as
> a starting point but that we'll be also able to use for much more
> things (like exporting some website part to improve the publishing
> workflow).

Let's not adopt tools for stealth agenda.  Let's be upfront about what we
want, what our needs are, and what tools can address them.

	--- Noel