james-general mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Are James classes still Private and Protected ?
Date Sun, 29 Oct 2006 08:40:27 GMT
Hi Miroslav,

All the source code is fully available under the Apache Software
License. So this project is indeed 'open source'.
Development is done in public and is open to everyone.

Marking Java classes, methods and fields as 'private' or 'protected' has
nothing to do with the 'openness' of the project itself.
It is just a fundamental concept called 'encapsulation' in
object-oriented languages like Java is one. (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_Oriented , section Fundamental
Concepts, bullet point Encapsulation)

If you need to change behavior of encapsulated code, take the source
code and modify as you like.

   Bernd