james-general mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject mailet api list
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 11:17:56 GMT
I'm slightly concerned that the "we" who created the new mailet list don't
appear to have consulted the James PMC on either pmc@ or general@ or even
on server-dev@ before creating the list.

I know it isn't a very contentious issue, but at the very least lazy
consensus of the PMC should be seen to have been sought.

There are those at the ASF who feel that splitting topics onto separate
lists is counter productive to maintaining an integrated community; it
might have been worth airing the pro's & con's before acting, particularly
as James pmc hasn't visited this issue before (IIRC) prefering to defer the
decision on sub-projects until the time it became relevant.

I would now like to ask what the proponents of the new list intend with
regard to the API itself.
Is the API maintenance to be carried out on the new list or on server-dev@?
Where will mail regarding mailet svn commits & JIRA defects go?
Is there a proposal being brought forward to establish Mailet as a distinct
sub-project?
Is there any intention of applying the same criteria to sieve &
mime-parser?

FWIW I'm not opposed to the new list, but I think it should have been
proposed properly, which would have allowed consideration of the impact on
the developer community and the management of the API code & issues.

d.

---
Danny Angus
Lead Technical Consultant