james-general mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject RE: mailet api list
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 12:45:26 GMT
Thanks for that.

I only have one further comment, which is that you say:
"I presume that the list would be for discussing the API, not
implementation."

Which is fine per-se but does mean that the few interfaces and classes in
org.apache.mailet will be designed on one list and developed on another.
Hardly the end of the world, I know, but something we will need to fix at
some point.

d.

|         |           "Noel J. Bergman"|
|         |           <noel@devtech.com|
|         |           >                |
|         |           31/05/2005 13:35 |
|         |           general          |

  |       To:       <general@james.apache.org>
                                              |
  |       cc:
                                        |
  |       Subject:  RE: mailet api list

Danny,

Actually, I had pinged Serge because I had a few minutes of time to do the
list, and we were both under the impression that we DID have a lazy
consensus from the server-dev discussion with Andrew C. Oliver, in which
the
mailing list had been discussed.  You may be correct that we were mistaken,
but the intent was present.

With respect to your specific questions:

server-dev@?

I presume that the list would be for discussing the API, not
implementation.

> Where will mail regarding mailet svn commits & JIRA defects go?

JIRA goes to server-dev for now, since we don't have a separate Mailet
project.  We could modify the SVN mailer, but I don't really see the point
at this time.

> Is there a proposal being brought forward to establish Mailet
> as a distinct sub-project?

All we were trying to do was provide an implementation neutral area for
discussing the API, as per the aforementioned discussion on server-dev.

I can already see that it is going to cause us some grown pain, because it
makes it a bit clearer that the Mailet API isn't just JAMES internal, which
means that we can't just change it without some consideration, and we're
providing a place for others to collaborate on what API changes do occur.
Pains and all, this may be a good thing.

> Is there any intention of applying the same criteria to sieve &
> mime-parser?

For now, they are captive to the server.  Over time, who knows?

             --- Noel

viruses.