From Ryan Lubke <Ryan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject Proposal - Deprecate GTest in favor for a featured test harness such as Latka
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 06:33:07 GMT
Going to open this up for further discussion.

In short, GTest needs to go.  The code has been plagued with various
HTTP compliance issues, parsing issues, etc.

As Christopher has mentioned, it's time that Watchdog use a more robust
solution for the end-to-end testing of a Servlet and JSP container.

To that end, I've suggested Jakarta Commons Latka.  This is an HTTP test
harness built on top of the Jakarta Commons HttpClient library which
boasts compliance with HTTP/1.0, HTTP/1.1, Cookies, and includes support
for SSL.

I've been using the HttpClient library within Sun prototyping a new
harness for the next rev of web-based technology TCK's and have found
very few problems.  So I think this gives Latka a +1 in my book.

So....

[ ] +1 - I support the move to Latka and am willing to help.
[ ] +0 - I support the move to Latka but will not have time to help.
[ ] -1 - I don't support the move to Latka (Please expand on why
         and please offer any alternative suggestions)

Note, if this conversion is approved by the community, the conversion
will not happen overnight.  GTest will still need to be maintained for
those who use the suite on a regular basis, so please keep the
improvements coming in.

-rl