From "Morgan Delagrange" <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Proposal - Deprecate GTest in favor for a featured test harnesssuch as Latka
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Hi folks,

Here's my non-binding +1.  I've been experimenting with converting the current Watchdog tests
to Latka, and so far the results are very promising.

- Morgan

Ryan Lubke wrote on 6/24/02 12:38 am:

Going to open this up for further discussion.

In short, GTest needs to go.  The code has been plagued with various HTTP compliance issues,
parsing issues, etc.

As Christopher has mentioned, it's time that Watchdog use a more robust solution for the end-to-end
testing of a Servlet and JSP container.

To that end, I've suggested Jakarta Commons Latka.  This is an HTTP test harness built on
top of the Jakarta Commons HttpClient library which boasts compliance with HTTP/1.0, HTTP/1.1,
Cookies, and includes support for SSL.

I've been using the HttpClient library within Sun prototyping a new harness for the next rev
of web-based technology TCK's and have found very few problems.  So I think this gives Latka
a +1 in my book.

So....

[ ] +1 - I support the move to Latka and am willing to help.
[ ] +0 - I support the move to Latka but will not have time to help.
[ ] -1 - I don't support the move to Latka (Please expand on why  and please offer any alternative
suggestions)

Note, if this conversion is approved by the community, the conversion will not happen overnight.
 GTest will still need to be maintained for those who use the suite on a regular basis, so
please keep the improvements coming in.

-rl