From "Dan Connelly" <dsconne...@adelphia.net>
Subject Am I the first??
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:15:17 GMT

I'm new.  This list seems to be empty, so maybe nobody is listening.  Or is ezmlm just broken??

OK.  Let me first of all make a confession.   I haven't looked at the existing distribution
except the README and the doc/design, so maybe I am missing the point.   But just what is
the point of watchdog??   The sub-project web page is far from clear on this.

Basically, I just looking into jarkarta-watchdog because I am interested in frameworks where
I could use JUnit testing during servlet development, XP style.   See http://junit.org/

This goes beyond merely testing for conformance with JSP and Servlet API specifications, of
course.

In addition, I would run the unit test suites repeatedly to gather statistical success/failure/error
data which I would post to a MySQL database.   Continuous testing seems necessary to me in
multi-threaded code because the interactions are more statistical than deterministic.   One
examines the statistics using ad hoc queries, status displays or "Hey You" alerters, all using
JSP/XML technology.  Developers and managers would select their own anxiety thresholds for
panic, when the production system would be shutdown.

The scope of this work must include some provision for "black box" testing of "legacy" applications
EJBed to the servlets.  This exploits the Java/EJB and XP advantage, seems to me, because
the testing suites are closer to the programmers.

Well, this scheme comes closer to my notion of a Watchdog then just API conformance.   Any
comments?

Dan Connelly, Burlington VT
(the other one, not Dan Connolly, W3C)