From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Implicit /servlet path
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2000 21:11:48 GMT
"Rousseau, John" wrote:

> I'm looking at the ServletContext.GetRequestDispatcherTestServlet
> test (but I see the same thing with other tests).
>
> It's doing a getRequestDispatcher() on
> "/servlet/tests.javax_servlet.ServletContext.GetRequestDispatcher".
>
> I don't see "/servlet" in the deployment descriptor, nor do I see
> any documentation about getRequestDispatcher taking a '.' separated
> class name. There is clearly no "/servlet" directory in the WAR.
>
> Is there an implicit mapping that Apache uses, or am I just missing
> something?

Yes, Tomcat uses a default mapping for "/servlet" to an invoker servlet
that takes the "path info" part of the path and tries to find a servlet
with that <servlet-name>, or a servlet with that class name.

This is an issue I have raised with the authors of the servlet tests,
because there is no requirement in the spec that a servlet container
provide such an invoker.  My understanding is that the tests are going
to be changed to provide explicit <servlet-mapping> entries for all
addressable servlets, and the tests will use those paths.

> Thanks!
> -John

Craig McClanahan