From Bjorn Townsend <bj...@sourcelabs.com>
Subject Re: Memory leak in ELEvaluator: approaches and alternatives
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:53:37 GMT

On Sep 26, 2007, at 12:06 AM  September 26, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Yikes. Glad they did, when I looked at doing it in the latest
> Collections code, I seem to recall it feeling like a pain as there
> were ties to more than just the one class. This is presumably an older
> copy.

The commit logs imply that this branch was created immediately after
the 1.0.6 release.  I diff'd the 1.0.6 ELEvaluator class against the
latest 1.1 trunk and there were no code changes - just an update to
the standard license header reflecting a new year.

Now, if you mean the LRUMap class, yes, more than one class is
involved -- whoever did this also did the legwork of picking out and
importing LRUMap's dependent classes as well, putting them into src/
org/apache/taglibs/standard/extra/.

> 1.0.x as opposed to 1.1.x. Which raises the question, what else was
> committed to 1.0.x that was not committed to 1.1.x (or to Commons EL).

An interesting question. Since I've been digging into this anyway
I'll do a general survey of the old branches and tags and see if
there is any other forgotten code that might be useful.

> It might just be that it was never released, nor mentioned in that
> issue.

That was my best-case scenario, yes. :)

> I'm all for it.

Cool. I'll give patching it into 1.1 a shot and make sure it doesn't
break any of the unit tests.  Hope to have that done today, unless
Murphy intervenes.

Thanks!

Bjorn