From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject [standard] More bugs to resolve - thoughts?
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:20:23 GMT
I've been churning on with my patch to add a caching SPI to Standard.
Here's the state, and what I think we should do:

17700 - Ostensibly this is a complaint that there is no caching in the
i18n stuff. When you dig deeper, it doesn't make sense as the poster
is complaining that the Resources class that handles errors for
Standard is the one that needs caching, and he refers to
ResourceMessages which does not exist. Too confusing, so WONTFIX.

31789 - Memory leak in ELEvaluator. This is the big issue - EL bits
are never GC'd it seems and it grows and grows until things OOM. This
is because caching is done. I've not tested this, though all I'm
adding is the ability to plug your own cache in, or choose between
forever caching or no caching.

It's open source. If someone feels this problem strongly enough, it's
not hard to go in and change it so it uses a LRUCache or something.
So WONTFIX.

32311 - No Date caching. I can get 30% speed improvements here with
caching. I'm not convinced it's worth it. So WONTFIX.

All a bit of a shame, as I've a large patch with nothing hugely wrong
with it :) But I've no urge to do non-surgical things.

Any thoughts? Any +1s on closing these 3 issues?

Hen