From "Kris Schneider" <k...@directthought.com>
Subject Re: [unstandard] Picking through the datetime taglib
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 19:50:05 GMT
> On 7/24/07, Kris Schneider <kris@directthought.com> wrote:
> > On 7/23/07, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Here are the tags in the DateTime taglib:
> > >
> <snip/>
> >
> > > So the question becomes whether there is any value in the iterator
> > > style tags. I don't see a lot. Any thoughts? I'm tempted to think
> > > 'deprecate' for datetime and bring nothing into Unstandard.
> >
> > If I had to recreate the iterator functionality in one of my own apps,
> > I think I'd be tempted to leverage EL functions instead of tags.
> > Simply create a set of static utility methods to generate the
> > collections and then use JSTL iteration. Regardless of how the
> > functionality is implemented (tags or functions), the bigger question
> > is whether or not it ought to be in Unstandard.
> <snap/>
>
> Correct, and I punted on that. What is the (new) scope of Unstandard?
> Something more constrained than "anything thats somewhat useful but
> not in JSTL"?

Here's the "old and tired" scope:

The Unstandard Tag Library is a collection of tags and features which
users have requested of the Jakarta Standard Tag Library. It is not
really tied to the Standard Taglib or JSTL but is instead just
somewhere to speed the availability of ideas before JSTL responds to
user demand.

I'm of the opinion that's just fine for the "new hotness" scope. I'm
just not sure how to quantify the "users have requested" part. I can
certainly recall people wanting field (constant) and method access,
but other than that...