From Rahul P Akolkar <akol...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [RDC] setting rdc ids at runtime
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 03:34:03 GMT
Stu Robertson <srobertson@nvisia.com> wrote on 08/03/2005 11:19:07 PM:
> The id attribute of the RDCs does not allow the value to be set via
> an expression, unlike all other attributes I've found.
>
> We're implementing our applications using the simplest possible
> pattern, where each JSP contains a single RDC.  So the JSPs
> themselves are identical for a given type of RDC.  We have quite a
> few selectOne tags in an average application.  The bits that vary
> between page, in our design, are populated by expressions, getting
> their values from state stored in the session.
>
> The only one causing trouble is the id.  I've made the changes to the
> RDCs we're using, and will be working though any kinks tomorrow.  I
> just wanted to find out if there was a particular reason why this
> constraint was added, and so maybe anticipate issues with other
> plumbing bits.

The ID of an RDC is really meant to be an XML ID, unique to the document.
While in your use case, I understand that this will be clean, opening up
the IDs completely such that they can be expressions probably opens a can
of worms:

A) It becomes harder to determine if there are duplicate IDs
B) The expression may evaluate to an empty string
C) Group DM strategies such as the RuleBasedDirectedDialog or SCXMLDialog
probably become unusable

It might be worthwhile brainstorming approaches for the "page level
templating" that you mention above. I can't think of an elegant solution
off-hand.

> Thanks,
>
> Stu

-Rahul