From Shane Smith <safarish...@gmail.com>
Subject RDC's specifiying an id for generated form
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:31:01 GMT
When using RDC's, occasionally I would like to have a different form
prior to the RDC generated form in the vxml output.  An example would
be the very first page hit by a new caller.  A vxml best practice is
to play a short (less than 2 second) welcome message or tone with the
bargein property set to false, allowing telephony level echo
cancelation to kick in properly.  For example:

<vxml version="2.0" xml:lang="en-US"  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/vxml" >

<form>
  <block>
    <prompt bargein="false">
      <audio src="welcome.vox"/>
    </prompt>
    <goto next="#mainRdcForm"/>
  </block>
</form>

<form>
<!-- this is the generated RDC form, but no id attribute has been set.  -->
</form>

The FIA needs to know the name of the form in order to bounce between
them.  Since top-down design doesn't work in vxml, we should give a
default name (id) to the rdc generated form, allowing developers to
add code above this at their lesiure.

I also thought about adding a way for the developer to specify the id
attribute of the form when calling the rdc, but I feel that it's
unnecessary considering you won't have more than one rdc generated
form in any given request.

What I've done is simply change the task.tag file like so:

<form id="mainRdcForm">
    <jsp:doBody/>
</form>

Can anyone think of a reason not to do this, or a better way to handle
this type of requirement?

Thanks,
Shane Smith