From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release RDC 1.0
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 03:30:20 GMT

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Felipe Leme wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Martin Cooper wrote:
>
>> Except that only votes from PMC members are binding...
>
> In this case, my vote wouldn't count, as I'm not a PMC member (I'd be honored
> to be one, but haven't contributed enough to deserve such credit).
>
> Anyway, are you sure the committers vote are not enough? I found the
> following info on http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/newprojectsubmission.html
> :
>
> Once the tag library has been through a successful evaluation period and that
> testimony can be provided to support its usefulness and quality, a vote can
> be called by the submitter to promote the project as an officially supported
> project at Jakarta Taglibs.
>
> The standard decision making process applies, with a consensus approval
> required to accept a new project.

This refers to promoting a taglib out of the sandbox. However, this vote
is for not just that promotion, but for a release, and all releases must
be approved by the PMC.

> I also checked the "standard decision making process" link
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html) and it also does not mention
> anything about PMC-binding votes (I might have missed something though).

This one does:

It also mentions some flexibility, though, so I guess that might allow for
you and / or Rahul to be included in this particular vote.

>> I'll also add my +1 for Rahul as a committer. There was a vote quite
>> some time ago, the thread for which I can't locate to reply to, but I
>
> By speaking of PMC and votes, how should we proceed now? I mean, I was going
> to mail the results to the list and ask the infra to create Rahul's account
> (after he signs the CLA), but it looks like that is task for the PMC:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newcommitter
>
> So, could I go ahead or should I leave it to a PMC member (like you or Sam,
> who first proposed him as committer)?

You can go ahead and forward the vote results to the PMC. Once that's
done, Rahul needs to file a CLA. I will keep an eye out for the CLA being
recorded, and let you know when that has happened. At that point, you can
make the account request, as described at the URL you quoted.

--
Martin Cooper