From Rahul P Akolkar <akol...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: RDC: Plan B for getting Nuance to work with RDCs
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:23:29 GMT
<detour>Steve, if you're listening, can you give Stu some details about
your Nuance setup?</detour>

Stu Robertson <srobertson@nvisia.com> wrote on 06/13/2005 04:23:03 PM:
> Hmm.  I'm starting to suspect that nuance folks mainly use GSL.  I'm
> still hoping for some help from the newsgroup posts I've made to
> voxeo and bevocal, but I'm not counting on it.

Give that a day or two Stu. I dug up what Steve was saying here [
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=taglibs-dev&m=111530442607124&w=2 ], and
whatever variant of the Nuance platform he was using seems to process the
SI correctly. Are you sure the test environment you're using is upto
speed? How long will you be deploying on this setup in the future? I
suspect at some time, you'll move to an in-house arrangement? If so, I
wouldn't spend too much time on re-doing the grammars, I'd save the
efforts for the real deal. Just my two cents worth (but, based on personal
experience).

> If we're likely to have separate grammars I'm considering just using
> GSL for nuance.  RDCs still abstract the app from the grammars, and
> hopefully longer term we can just use SRGS for both.  It's a pain
> though, since we'll need to have internationalization for RDCs to be
> widely adopted, and GSL would double that work.

Agreed, cross-products are no joy. Thankfully, this is search replace type
of authoring, if it comes to that.

> I agree it'd be fine to have the grammar-type/platform specified in
> an init parm.  The next question is where to put the grammars.  What
> about creating two sub dirs under .grammar, one for srgs and one for
> gsl?  The servlet would use the init parm to figure out which to
> use.  There's the issue of file name suffixes of course.  If you
> think this is a reasonable approach, I'll take a stab at the
> necessary changes.

Sure, new directory is a good idea. But the directory structure or suffix
has nothing to do with what grammar is picked up, it will be the resource
bundle that dictates this. The directory or suffix will really be just a
visual cue for developers.

For example, RDCs pick up prompts and grammars for en_US locale from here
[
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-taglibs-sandbox/rdc/src/org/apache/taglibs/rdc/resources/RDCBundle_en_US.properties?view=markup

]. Lets have a locale variant called Nuance, and have that resource bundle
point to the correct grammars (AFAIK, variants can be made up). A brief
read on the current internationalization support in RDCs is here [
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-taglibs/ReusableDialogComponents/Tutorials/I18N
].

> Hopefully somebody will help us get nuance srgs to work and make the
> GSL part unnecessary...though we'd still probably need the subdirs
> for grammars.

Works for me, got nothing against arranging resources systematically ;-)

-Rahul