From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Progress on RDC grammars being compatible with nuance?
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 11:43:56 GMT
On 5/27/05, Stu Robertson <srobertson@nvisia.com> wrote:
> I've followed the threads on this, and it sounds like folks have
> zeroed in on the issue and know how to make grammars compatible.

Yes, that issue is closed. A proposed solution is here:
[ http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=taglibs-dev&m=111509090628437&w=2 ]
I think Steve had another one too.

If you go here [ http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=taglibs-dev ] and
search using appropriate keywords, you should find the rest of the
related posts.

> Has anyone done the work yet of converting the grammars, or maybe
> some of them?  If there's more to be done, can we maybe divide up the
> work and get these in place?

Daniel has volunteered [
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=taglibs-dev&m=111514547816399&w=2 ]
Do you want to co-ordinate with him (and anyone else who is
interested)? I think he said he was on vacation next week, so please
be patient.

> I've just started using the voxeo community developer site, which is
> a very slick way to test voicexml apps.  But it looks like the
> grammar compiler is nuance's, so I've run exactly into the symptoms
> Steve Hodson first described.
>
> Rahul, you mentioned in an earlier post on these threads that you
> didn't have access to nuance-based interpreters.  You can get access
> to one for free at http://community.voxeo.com (no affiliation with
> me).  It's brilliantly simple.  To create an app you give the app a
> logical name, and an http app entry point.  For my case, I pointed it
> to the public IP of my home development box, and setup port
> forwarding (I'm behind NAT) to route to tomcat/websphere.  You can
> then use any SIP phone (I used http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html) to
> test.  It works really well, and should let you test any grammars
> that get submitted.
>
> Anyway, in my mind this was the missing piece for a free development
> environment.  http://eclipse.org/vtp/ provides simple editors for
> grammar and voicexml files, and RDCs make it so you don't really need
> gui call flow builders.

This is all very useful information. I started a brand new RDC
tutorials page here:
[ http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-taglibs/ReusableDialogComponents/Tutorials ]
If you feel like contributing to the documentation (which is always
much valued), please create a new wiki page linked from the tutorials
page (maybe called "ToolingResources" or some such, and probably a
direct child of the RDC wiki home, but thats all upto you ;-)

> It'd be awfully nice if RDCs could work with nuance.  As you say,
> RDCs' grammars adhere to the spec, and the problem may be with
> nuance.  But it sounds like the grammars can be nuance-compatible and
> spec compliant.  This sounds like a key step for wider RDC adoption.

They do :-) top of post [
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=taglibs-dev&m=111535891004622&w=2 ]

Let me know if you have questions, the mail archives don't help etc.
And you're welcome to post anywhere on the wiki too.

-Rahul