From Stu Robertson <srobert...@nvisia.com>
Subject Progress on RDC grammars being compatible with nuance?
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 03:34:35 GMT
I've followed the threads on this, and it sounds like folks have
zeroed in on the issue and know how to make grammars compatible.

Has anyone done the work yet of converting the grammars, or maybe
some of them?  If there's more to be done, can we maybe divide up the
work and get these in place?

I've just started using the voxeo community developer site, which is
a very slick way to test voicexml apps.  But it looks like the
grammar compiler is nuance's, so I've run exactly into the symptoms
Steve Hodson first described.

Rahul, you mentioned in an earlier post on these threads that you
didn't have access to nuance-based interpreters.  You can get access
to one for free at http://community.voxeo.com (no affiliation with
me).  It's brilliantly simple.  To create an app you give the app a
logical name, and an http app entry point.  For my case, I pointed it
to the public IP of my home development box, and setup port
forwarding (I'm behind NAT) to route to tomcat/websphere.  You can
then use any SIP phone (I used http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html) to
test.  It works really well, and should let you test any grammars
that get submitted.

Anyway, in my mind this was the missing piece for a free development
environment.  http://eclipse.org/vtp/ provides simple editors for
grammar and voicexml files, and RDCs make it so you don't really need
gui call flow builders.

It'd be awfully nice if RDCs could work with nuance.  As you say,
RDCs' grammars adhere to the spec, and the problem may be with
nuance.  But it sounds like the grammars can be nuance-compatible and
spec compliant.  This sounds like a key step for wider RDC adoption.

Stu