From Rahul P Akolkar <akol...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: RDC: <config> defined in .rdc and .xml
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:52:01 GMT
> Both the .rdc file and the .xml file of many of the sample RDC
> components contain a <config> element with the same sub-entries
>
> What is the order of precedence here? Which set of values will
> be used by default? Is either of these compulsary, or can you
> define this config data in one or other of the files?

The .rdc file is purely a tooling extension/documentation helper. It is
meant to be consumed by tools [such as graphical/flow editors etc.] and
contains all meta-data associated with an RDC. The runtime only looks at
the .xml config file [so there is no order of precedence].

An xml config file containing the prompts for this instance gets passed in
like so:

<rdc:date id="myDate" config="myDateConfig.xml" />

If we have this <rdc:date id="myDate" /> we get the "default prompts"
packed with the distro [which is the .xml file you are talking about].
These prompts are very generic like "Please specify a date" and we
probably want to say something specific to the application/call flow for
every RDC instance, such as "Please specify your departure date", and
thats where the myDateConfig.xml file comes in and "overrides" the default
prompts.

-Rahul