From Rahul P Akolkar <akol...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: RDC: grammar tags in the state component
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:42:03 GMT
 > I'm not a VUI expert, but the idea of having this
> initial grammar seems like a fine idea.  I'd think
> the biggest issue is providing enough flexibility
> so that people can customize it. It's inevitable
> that users are going to want to have control over
> this.  If for nothing else, localization; but also
> for changing the utterances that can be used and
> also doing regional tuning.

Very true. Looking at the RDC tag library from an i18n perspective, let me
identify the resources that are locale specific, and the action items:
1) Prompts - Since we already have the mechanism (and necessary
separation) for specifying the prompts associated with any RDC instance in
terms of a config file, localizing the prompts is simply providing an
appropriate config.
2) Grammars - The component grammars defined in the tag files which are
static URI references need to be updated with locale specific URIs read
out of resource bundles.
3) Loose ends - Embedded grammars and error messages. I think the only
instance of an embedded grammar is the initial grammar, though I'll double
check. Error messages produced in the org.apache.taglibs.rdc.dm package
need to change similar to (2).

I will begin to work on the i18n, starting with (2), then (3). I'll set
things up so the grammar URIs are locale specific, but I lack the ability
to translate ;-) We will need volunteers to do the actual translation.

> As a follow up question, do you mind pointing me to
> the location within the code that generates this
> dynamic grammar?

Here:
<rdc-src-dir>/src/org/apache/taglibs/rdc/core/BaseModel.java#populateInitialGrammar()

As per discussion above, it won't stay there for long.

Can you also let me know what fails with the Nuance engine? Does it
require an xmlns attribute on the embedded grammar? I think I noticed that
with the Cisco browser. At some point, we will have a build switch, so
these "platform adaptations" can be done by specifying the platform as a
build property. Also, do let me know if you are aware of a good
compilation of platform "quirks" for various platforms. That will be a
good starting point for this exercise.

-Rahul