From Rahul P Akolkar <akol...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: RDC: grammar tags in the state component
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:42:01 GMT
Let me summarize this thread so far to see what the loose ends are, so we
can close on this.

As the last couple of emails mention, the initial value can be used to
augment a generic RDC to provide a personalized VUI, for example, one may
say:

<rdc:usState  id="homeState"  initial="${userBean.homeState}"
initialGrammar="my home state,the state where I live" />

--or--

<rdc:percent  id="downPayment"
minPercent="${userBean.mortgageType.minimumDP}"
initial="${userBean.mortgageType.minimumDP}"  initialGrammar="minimum down
payment" />

Loose ends:
1) It seems sufficient to allow the JSP author to specify the utterances
for the initial grammar. This may be done as above, having an attribute
that takes either a delimited (comma, in above examples) string or a
collection of strings. Indeed, this is true because the semantic
interpretation of all these utterances from the component's perspective is
identical, and hence will be best autogen'ed.
2) What should this tag attribute be called? I used initialGrammar above
for illustration, what attribute name makes most sense? Suggestions?

This issue is orthogonal to i18n, and maybe my earlier email didn't
clarify I thought that way. We will be going ahead with i18n in parallel,
since we have a couple of good volunteers for translation, and we will
need to do i18n for the RDC taglib anyway.

-Rahul