From Juan Huerta <hue...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: RDC: grammar tags in the state component
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:30:59 GMT
Mitch wrote:
>Based on our experience, I would strongly urge you to consider allowing
>the developer to define their own grammar file for the initial grammar.

I think this is a very good idea, from the Voice User Interface design
point of view and
I think, in general, RDC's should be able to support this.

There's a small tricky twist to the "initial/grammar" problem: Initial
could be used with dynamic values.

Example:

Say, the user wants to pickup a car in "Dallas" and return it to the same
location,
in this case the rdc that captures the return location could have an
initial value equal
to Dallas, which is only known during runtime.

A solution to this issue is to allow the developer to provide a
parametrized
grammar: i.e., a grammar that covers all the issues described by Mitch
(fillers and garbage words etc)
plus uses a parametric value (a variable, EL expression, etc).

-Juan