From "Mitch Warner" <mitch.war...@fluencyvoice.com>
Subject RE: RDC: <config> defined in .rdc and .xml
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:07:44 GMT
Would it not make sense to remove the <config> tag from the .rdc file
altogether, and simply use the .xml file as the singular sounrce for
this config data, for tools and runtime alike?

-----Original Message-----
From: Rahul P Akolkar [mailto:akolkar@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 24 February 2005 14:52
To: Tag Libraries Developers List
Subject: Re: RDC: <config> defined in .rdc and .xml

> Both the .rdc file and the .xml file of many of the sample RDC
> components contain a <config> element with the same sub-entries (such
>
> What is the order of precedence here? Which set of values will be used

> by default? Is either of these compulsary, or can you define this
> config data in one or other of the files?

The .rdc file is purely a tooling extension/documentation helper. It is
meant to be consumed by tools [such as graphical/flow editors etc.] and
contains all meta-data associated with an RDC. The runtime only looks at
the .xml config file [so there is no order of precedence].

An xml config file containing the prompts for this instance gets passed
in like so:

<rdc:date id="myDate" config="myDateConfig.xml" />

If we have this <rdc:date id="myDate" /> we get the "default prompts"
packed with the distro [which is the .xml file you are talking about].
These prompts are very generic like "Please specify a date" and we
probably want to say something specific to the application/call flow for
every RDC instance, such as "Please specify your departure date", and
thats where the myDateConfig.xml file comes in and "overrides" the
default prompts.

-Rahul