From "Daniel Spangler" <daniel.spang...@fluencyvoice.com>
Subject RE: RDC: grammar tags in the state component
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:37:40 GMT
Ok, I understand now.  I think I was using the older version so I didn't see anything that
would turn it off.  The reason I even thought about turning it off was actually a result of
question "b".  I was testing against the Nuance engine and the initial grammar was not valid
on Nuance.

I'm not a VUI expert, but the idea of having this initial grammar seems like a fine idea.
 I'd think the biggest issue is providing enough flexibility so that people can customize
it.  It's inevitable that users are going to want to have control over this.  If for nothing
else, localization; but also for changing the utterances that can be used and also doing regional
tuning.

As a follow up question, do you mind pointing me to the location within the code that generates
this dynamic grammar?

________________________________

From: Rahul P Akolkar [mailto:akolkar@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tue 2/22/2005 4:25 PM
To: Tag Libraries Developers List
Subject: Re: RDC: grammar tags in the state component

Daniel,

RDCs support initialization, meaning the JSP author may define an initial
(or default) value for an RDC instance via its initial attribute like so:

<rdc:date id="myDate" minDate="01012000" maxDate="01012010"
initial="01012005" />
-or-
<rdc:usState id="myState" initial="NY" config="myStatePrompts.xml" />

The embedded grammar is used to define the utterances that will be used to
allow the user to refer to this value. The name of the root grammar rule
is "Initial" prepended by the ID of the RDC instance (for better
traceability). I'll refer to this grammar as the "initial grammar" in the
rest of this email.

Now, to the other questions:

1) Can this grammar be configured?
Now that you've mentioned it, it seems like a good idea to be able to do
that. One way to do that might be to provide a suitably named attribute
that points to the initial grammar for each RDC instance (and uses a
default one if no such grammar is provided).

Some related questions that come to mind are:
a) How will configuring the initial grammar per RDC instance affect the
usability of the application? Before, we had a consistent Voice User
Interface (VUI) for refering to the initial values.
b) If we point to a "bad" initial grammar, the rendered VoiceXML page will
fail.

What do you think?

2) Can it be turned off?
If you download the latest nightly distribution (one after 2/6), you will
notice that the initial grammar is produced only if:
a) The RDC has an initial attribute specified
b) The initial value thus specified does not violate the rest of the
constraints [for example, an initial value of "01012050" will not be
accepted in the above date instance since it violates the maxDate
constraint]

This process of deciding whether to render the initial grammar, to me,
seems sufficient. Can you think of a scenario where this isn't sufficient?

-Rahul

-- Daniel wrote: --

When the VXML is rendered for the US State component, two grammar tags are
added.  The second is a static reference to a grxml file, and the first is
an embedded grammar with a rule named "ourStateInitial".  I'm curious as
to what the purpose of the embedded grammar is and whether the user of the
component has any control over it (i.e. can it be configured or turned
off)?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel Spangler

This email has been scanned for all viruses by Netscalibur Mail Scanner, powered by MessageLabs.
For more information on a proactive email security service working around the clock, around
the globe, visit
http://www.netscalibur.co.uk/scanner/index.html