From Felipe Leme <jakartalis...@felipeal.net>
Subject RE: Struts EL tag library stability
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:16:54 GMT
On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 04:43, Martin Shiveral wrote:

> Your replies suggest a reason why few people have extended the EL tags (I
> have found little purchase on any of the Struts forums) - they are a
> "bridge" between the JSP 1.2 and JSP 2.0 containers so as David suggests
> they will have a limited lifespan.

I have to disagree with David. It would be wonderful if JSP 1.2 have a
limited lifespan but the truth is it will take longer than that for JSP
2.0 be the standard, unfortunately.

> The problem I have is that our project is standardising around WebSphere
> Studio Application Developer which supports JSP 1.2 therefore I need to
> extend the Struts-EL tags if I want to support the expression language in
> our custom tags within WSAD.  The JavaServer Pages Standard Tag Library

I have the same problem. In fact, I haven't participated in any project
that used JSP 2.0, so I'm almost stuck on JSP 1.2 (or even 1.1, which
sucks - I mean, it sucks to be stuck in an old version, not the
technology itself).

> My approach so far has been to create a number of custom tags which extend
> the EL tags to provide the functionality we require (mostly decoration of
> the underlying tag).  The only issue I have encountered with extending the
> EL tags is that I need to duplicate the "evaluateExpressions" functionality
> of each EL tag class in my custom tags as the method is declared private
> (instead of protected) in the EL Tag Library source.  I have already

I already mention in the list that we should/must provide EL support in
all our (Jakarta Taglibs) taglibs. But in order to do so, we need to
come out with an approach that makes this transition easy to the taglib
developer. I proposed such a solution using XDoclet:

http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2004/06/18/el-taglib.html

But haven't had the time to push this topic in the list yet (although I
have discussed some issues in private with Jeroen).

So, I think now might be a good time. Any ideas/comments?

-- Felipe