From Abey Mullassery <a...@mullassery.com>
Subject [Image] New Button Tag and Text Tag with HTML rendering capability
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:50:59 GMT

I thought of writing a tag to create Buttons because a lot of people
require this functionality (to create text buttons in different
languages) and I keep on explaining how to do it with a combination of
the basic image tags. I did not add this tag to the Image Taglib because
I thought it was best if the lib just had a set of basic operations
leaving the more complex transformations that are just a combination of
these basic ones to the user (or maybe maintain it outside separately
for those who need it). However since a lot of people had been asking
for it, I am thinking of adding a button tag too. Later we could remove
it if we feel that it does not belong here.

The button tag is basically the "text" (text overlay) tag and the crop
tag combined. But the boundaries may have to be calculated based on the
width of the text printed. I also thought that it was time to upgrade
the Text tag to support multilined text. The text overlay is the first
operation for the button tag. Ideally it required some more formatting
options than just specifying a font and color. Thats why I thought it
was best to add HTML rendering capability to the Text and Button Tags.

See an example here
(http://www.mullassery.com/downloads/images/woods-poem.jpg)
The HTML (poem) is overlaid on the image. This was rendered on the image
using the classes in the JDK.

The text tag with HTML rendering capability can also take a URL and
render a "screenshot" of the page as an image.

I wanted to know your opinion about this feature and the best HTML
rendering package to use for it.
Also is the button tag required in the taglib?

Thanks.

Abey Mullassery
http://www.mullassery.com