From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: string taglib
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 13:06:01 GMT

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Felipe Leme wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 04:50, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > I've been thinking recently that a new version of the String taglib is
> > needed, implemented entirely as a set of EL-functions.
>
> I agree that EL support is a must. Not only for String, but for all
> supported taglibs (like mailer, for instance). So, we need a generic
> framework to help that task (I'm working on it, but it will take a while
> until the idea is mature enough to be sent to the list)

I don't see any need to do anything for EL support. New versions of
taglibs etc can be JSP 2.0 only in my opinion.

> > Those that are already handled would be removed.
>
> Agree. For instance, the random tags. Besides being handled by another
> taglib (Random), they are based on Commnons Lang random classes, that
> have some complex syntax in some cases.

Don't agree. :) I mean the ones that the JSP 2.0 function taglib already
covers, like capitalize.

> > It's a vague todo
> > [random(6 months) eta] for me at the moment.
>
> Don't worry about time - just the fact of having these discussions is
> already a progress for the project's current status :-).
>
> Maybe a next step would be defining an execution plan for the whole
> project. Something like this:
>
> 1.Finish migration to ASF 2.0 license
> 2.Create the new Legacy category and re-classify existing taglibs
> 3.Fix existing bugs
> 4.Release new bug-fix releases
> 5.Migrate to the new EL-support schema
> 6.Release a minor/major release that supports EL and RT

I'd kill 5 and 6 and replace them with:

5. Migrate undeprecated tags from Legacy taglibs into the Unstandard
taglib.

6. Release JSP 2.0 versions of taglibs.

I've no itch to come up with endless ways to support 1.1, 1.2 and 2.0 at
the same time, increasingly complicating the tag development process.

Hen