From Felipe Leme <jakartalis...@felipeal.net>
Subject Re: string taglib
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:52:57 GMT
On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 04:50, Henri Yandell wrote:
> I've been thinking recently that a new version of the String taglib is
> needed, implemented entirely as a set of EL-functions.

I agree that EL support is a must. Not only for String, but for all
supported taglibs (like mailer, for instance). So, we need a generic
framework to help that task (I'm working on it, but it will take a while
until the idea is mature enough to be sent to the list)

> Those that are already handled would be removed.

Agree. For instance, the random tags. Besides being handled by another
taglib (Random), they are based on Commnons Lang random classes, that
have some complex syntax in some cases.

> It's a vague todo
> [random(6 months) eta] for me at the moment.

Don't worry about time - just the fact of having these discussions is
already a progress for the project's current status :-).

Maybe a next step would be defining an execution plan for the whole
project. Something like this:

1.Finish migration to ASF 2.0 license
2.Create the new Legacy category and re-classify existing taglibs
3.Fix existing bugs
4.Release new bug-fix releases
5.Migrate to the new EL-support schema
6.Release a minor/major release that supports EL and RT

Of course, some of these tasks could be done in parallel (for instance,
fixing bugs and planning the LE support).

> > I saw someone mention that the string taglib should also be called
> > "Legacy".

It might have me, but if so, it was a mistake.

> This taglib however contains a lot of functionality that isn't
> > provided by JSTL and I'd very much like to see it kept in...

I agree. There might be some functionality provided by JSTL 1.1
functions, but that's not enough for 2 reasons:

- string currently has more tags than what's provided by JSTL 1.1
functions
- EL functions are only available on 2.0 and it will take a while for it
to be default and 1.2 be considered "legacy"

Felipe