From Felipe Leme <jakartalis...@felipeal.net>
Subject Project thoughts (WAS Re: cvs commit: jakarta-taglibs/mailer/src/org/apache/taglibs/mailer MailTag.java)
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:09:29 GMT
On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 18:41, Martin Cooper wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
> > Martin,
> >
> > Thanks for taking over the Mailer taglib.  There are many
> > ways it could be improved. Support for EL would be nice for
> > one thing.
>
> Yes, EL support is one of the things I was thinking about for a 2.0

I think mailer needs EL and even RT support (for most of their
attributes). Right now, we should add at least RT support for CC, TO,
and other recipient fields.

> My thinking was to resolve all the outstanding issues and release a 1.2
> version, then start on the heavy lifting for 2.0. I'd welcome any other
> ideas you might have. (Obviously, I'll bring this subject up on a
> dedicated thread on the list nearer the time.)

I have some ideas for the project as a whole (not only mailer). I would
send these ideas to the list later, after I had some time to elaborate
them better, but now that you mentioned it, I better take advantage of
the timing. So, here they are:

- both EL and RT support for all taglibs (provided we do it in an
organized way)
- create a commons/core project with useful stuff to be used in all
taglibs (and even by other projects), such as:
   - TEI/TLV validation
   - easy way to add EL support
   - super-class for all tags (although that's a technique many people
dislike), with proper support to logging, EL and other tasks
   - etc...
- make sure everything is standard among the tabligs (like using the XML
to generate TLDs and docs, make sure the TLDs follow the convention,
etc...)
- provide test cases/unit testing

Overall, I think the project as a whole seems a little bit "abandoned":

 - the latest releases of most taglibs (except Standard) is from
Feb/2003
 - there are almost 100 opened bugs - except by Standard and now bugs
fixed by Martin, most of them don't get even description/comments by us
developers
 - there is a lot of traffic in the users list, but most of them is
related to JSTL (or even Struts)
 - etc...

Right now, we have about 25 taglibs and 33 committers (although many of
them "retired" :). I know Pierre takes care of Standard and now Martin's
on Mailer, but I think it's time to get at least one "official keeper"
for each tag. If we can get say 8 committers with time for that, it
would be an average of 3 taglibs each

So, what do you guys think?

Felipe
(a 'freelancer' committer so far :-)