From "Michael Nascimento Santos" <mister...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Another bug, spec issue
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:40:42 GMT
OK, me and my big mouth :-D Here we go again:

> Err, we *just* decided to change the spec implementation for
> javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.Result.  Everything about a spec is not
> final.  Were it not for the null-check usage of empty, empty on Set is a
> NOOP, so I think we almost had a very valid case for correcting behavior.

It is a totally different case, though. Felipe Leme and I chatted yesterday
about it and I read the archive about this discussion. There is nothing on
the spec that prohibited _an implementation of that interface_ from being
Serializable, what makes it acceptable to do so; however, when it comes to
this issue about empty and Collections, it is written there it _must return
fals_e. As I suggested, some people out there might have coded there systems
to assume that's how all the implementations work. We cannot simply say to
them: "You're wrong because the people who wrote and reviewed the spec
wanted it to say something it doesn't. Now that we realized it actually
should be different, it will and you'll have to change your code!"

> My clients and I would have a branched version that creates
> configuration management challenge, because the app could seriously
> break if someone reverted to a standard impl.  Using workarounds as you
> suggested or using scriplets would solve things better.

Now I see my blog is not as useless as I think sometimes... :-D

> Once more, keeping hidden gotchas in a spec does exactly opposite of why
> we created the spec in the first place, which is primarily increased
> adoption.  Specs are human, inperfect, and subject to review and
> clarification.

I agree with that. Isn't there a maintainance release of a spec or something
like that in the JCP? If there is, wouldn't it allow a 1.0.1 spec with this
issue changed (and maybe others)? Does anyone know (I can't read the JCP
documment right know, but I will do it if nobody answers my question...)?

[]s
Michael Nascimento Santos
JSR 207 Expert Group Member
http://today.java.net/pub/au/80
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform
Sun Certified Web Component Developer for J2EE
Moderador SouJava - http://www.soujava.org.br