From "Mike Skells" <Mike.Ske...@ebizz-consulting.com>
Subject Performance optimisation for taglib standard 1.0.4 OutSupport
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:15:07 GMT
Hi,
I was doing so,me profileing of a app that makes quite heavy use of out
tags, and found that the <c:out> tag implementation was consuming large
amounts of CPU and larg numbers of objects were being created.

The problem is that (when used with tomcat 4.0) the
JspWriter.print(char) leads to a String.valueOf(char) call for each
character that is output! This means that there are 2 object created for
each character that is output

I enclose a new version of OutSupport that in my tests uses approx 1/6
of the cpu and generates no additional objects.

Tests were conducted using jProbe 5.0.1  standard 1.0.4, Tomcat 4.0.6
and jdk1.4.2_02

Mike