From Pierre Delisle <Pierre.Deli...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Dual Taglibs...
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:19:37 GMT
Mark,

The JSTL 1.1 spec says the following in the Compatibility section:

 The JSTL 1.0 URIs are deprecated as of JSTL 1.1. If used, they should normally
 appear in a web application that has a servlet 2.3 deployment descriptor to disable
 the JSP 2.0 EL machinery. If used with a servlet 2.4 deployment descriptor, the JSP
 2.0 EL machinery must be explicitely disabled for the pages where the JSTL 1.0 tag
 libraries are used. Consult the JSP specification for details.

The intent of the expert group is to base any new development on the
JSP 2.0 spec. So dual taglibraries were only a temporary fix when
JSTL 1.0 first came out.

J2EE 1.4 is just around the corner, but it takes some time for vendors
to push their new releases and for people to adopt them.
If you don't mind going through the extra pain,
you'll definitely have more traction if you go with dual libraries.
But dual tag libraries will definitely be things of the past when
J2EE 1.4 is widely adopted.

    -- Pierre