From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tag Pipelining
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:35:08 GMT

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, David Spencer wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:05:38 -0000
> From: David Spencer <David.Spencer@bristol.ac.uk>
> To: Tag Libraries Developers List <taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Tag Pipelining
>
> This isn't so much about tag pipe-lining (the output of one tag being the
> input of another) as jsp pipelining where the output of one jsp is another
> jsp. The result of your stylesheet transformation is a new jsp with struts
> tags in it which would need to be translated into java and then compiled
> into a servlet and then invoked. All this would have to happen every time
> someone request your page which would make it *very* slow. I've no idea how
> you might configure it to work.
>
> The result of your tranformation should probably be plain old html.

Having a JSP custom tag output more JSP, and expecting that to be
evaluated at run time, is not ever going to work -- the output of a JSP
page is sent directly back to the client.  Instead, as David suggests,
your stylesheet transformation should directly generate the ultimate HTML
(or whatever) code that you want.

> Dave

Craig