From "Gareth Hall" <gareth.h...@student.umist.ac.uk>
Subject RE: JSTL Memory Leak
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:22:04 GMT
Yep, no problem.

- Gareth

Gareth J Hall
gareth.hall@student.umist.ac.uk
mobile: +447971037081
MSN: gaz209@hotmail.com
AOL: gaz207

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Bayern [mailto:bayern@essentially.net]
Sent: 24 March 2003 17:25
To: Tag Libraries Developers List; gareth.hall@student.umist.ac.uk
Subject: Re: JSTL Memory Leak

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Gareth Hall wrote:

> I seem to have a memory leak in my Web Application which occurs when
> using the JSTL <c:forEach> tag. More specifically I'm using the tag to
> iterate through an ArrayList of objects. The contents of the ArrayList
> are the result of a query. The arraylist is added to the session by a
> servlet using session.setAttribute(). However even on invalidating the
> session, the value bean class still remains in memory. If I add the
> ArrayList to the session, but never access it with <c:forEach> then
> the memory leak disappears.

It may be that the <c:forEach> tag handler is hanging onto the object
longer than it should.  We should probably explicitly release the
reference in doEndTag().  Would you be willing to experiment with the
new
version once I modify it?  (I'm not familiar with Quest JProbe.)

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSTL in Action"   http://www.manning.com/bayern