From Timothy Kettering <tims...@mac.com>
Subject strange taglib behavior
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:04:06 GMT
I've been stumped by this all morning, and I'm hoping that some of you
could shed insight on how i can further debug this.

I have a custom tag lib that I built to iterate and process a List of
objects.  In the end, it sends everything to the out object.  I wrote
an earlier instance that handled a different List and it worked
perfectly, then I wrote this one, and nothing's appearing on the page
at all.

I went back and started putting in system.out.printlns to see where it
died.  apparently doEndTag() is never called.  I looked around online
and saw lots of discussion about doEndTag never being reached if an
exception was thrown.  So I implemented TryCatchFinally and put debug
statements in both the doCatch() and doFinally() methods to see if it
was getting there.  Nothing.

I've checked all my logs.  Nothing in there to indicate any type of
error occured during processing.  The tag does sucessfully iterate
though doAfterBody() decision (whether to EVAL_BODY_AGAIN or
SKIP_BODY), and right before the SKIP_BODY is is returned, it fires off
one last System.out.println() and then it just tumbles off in the void,
never to be seen again.

The truly baffling thing is that I have another class file that does
virtually the same thing and it works just fine.  I've been looking at
this again and again and trying to figure out why doEndTag, doCatch and
doFinally are never called.   Can anyone here give me any suggestions
on what i can do to further debug this problem?  It's getting really
vexing.

-tim