From Timothy Kettering <tims...@mac.com>
Subject Re: JSTL in 1.1
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:05:19 GMT
Just a thought here, but if I may suggest something.

How about a sandbox project that wouldn't be labeled JSTL.  It'd be
just called something like the "Jakarta Slow-Adopter JSTL-Like But Not
All Functionality Included" library.   Well mabye not that specific
name, mabye something like Jakarta 1.1 JSP Utilities Taglib.

Then in the documentation, explain that it attempts to emulate as much
functionality as the JSTL spec as humanely possible within the JSP 1.1
specifications, but it's NOT JSTL.  It makes no guarantees for
compatibility.  Etc.

The people who use said Taglib can maintain the taglib source tree on
their own within the jakarta process, and it would be free to find and
use solutions to problems as the lack of TryCatchFinally, etc, without
compromising anything in the JSTL tags?

just my two cents.

-tim