From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject Re: JspTagLifecycle: Testing JSP tag libraries with Cactus
Date Fri, 29 Nov 2002 22:39:17 GMT
Christopher Lenz wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> considering the overwhelming response to this mail (not ;-) ), I'm gonna
> add some more:

The taglib lists are a bit slow, and this is a four day holdiay in the states.
So please be patient. :-)

I am aware of Cactus but haven't had time to play with it yet. It is on my list
of technologies I want to research and possibly incorporate into development/testing
where I work. :-)

It looks like the test suite uses a servlet container but not the container's JSP
engine. JSP custom tags and their behaviour is very tightly coupled to the JSP
engine the custom tag lib is running within.  Things like JSP engine custom tag
pooling, etc. can have a big impact on whether tags work correctly.  I wonder how
useful a test suite like this would be when it doesn't also test the container
JSP engine.

Setting up test cases using actual JSP pages then making sure you get back the
correct response is much more complete testing of both the tags and the JSP
engine IMHO.

Regards,

Glenn