From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Can't deploy Custom Tag Library on Microsoth Windoz
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 19:18:57 GMT

>If you access your XML parser through the JAXP APIs (which Tomcat does for
>its own use), there is a standard and portable mechanism for selecting the
>parser implementation to be used -- see the JAXP specification for
>details.
>

>Craig McClanahan

No, this has to strictly deal with default tomcat installation startup
and what it uses as a default when loading taglibraries. Not with which
parser I prefer to use in a particular webapplication.

If I setup my taglibrary Jar with

/META-INF/taglib.tld

and configure my web.xml file to load from the Jar file.

    <taglib>
        <taglib-uri>/thedata-taglib-validation-0.1</taglib-uri>
        <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/lib/Validation.jar</taglib-location>
    </taglib>

Then the default installations of Tomcat versions 4.0.3, 4.0.5, 4.1 all
fail to load the taglib because of the following error:

PARSE error at line 1 column -1
> >> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Character conversion error: "Malformed
> >> UTF-8 char
> >>  -- is an XML encoding declaration missing?" (line number may be too
> >> low).

This seems to happen on windows and not linux.

I've tried numerous encodings in my tld file, it always says UTF-8 even when I'm not encoded
in UTF-8. It was pointed out that this is a bug in an old version of Xerces. But, when I install
LE versions, I'm not using Xerces, I'm using the default Crimson parser in j2sdk 1.4.

When I pull my tld's out of the Jar files reference the external copies in web.xml everything
loads ok, so it looks like it is definitly a problem in some Jar URLConnection...

-Mark

p.s. I'm not trying to just get an installation to work, I want my users to just be able to
download tomcat, install it out of the box and install my taglibray jar. I want them to reference
the "jar" in the web.xml and not the tld file and I want it work an all versions of Tomcat
4.0 thru 4.1 tested on both Windows and Linux.