From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [JNDI/LDAP] back to basics
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 22:09:11 GMT
Pierre Delisle wrote:

>Todd, Mark,
>
>Thanks for taking the time to provide sound arguments for the
>motivation of a JNDI/LDAP taglib. Step 1 passed with flying colors!
>
>OK, on to step 2 now...
>
>Could someone provide us with some analysis of the taglibs
>that currently exist out there that tackle the same topic?
>What are their strengths, weaknesses, and what impact would they
>have on a possible new project here at jakarta-taglibs?
>
>    -- Pierre

*Read Only Libraries*

Apache
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/jndi-doc/intro.html

Coldbeans software
http://www.servletsuite.com/servlets/jnditag.htm

Cocoon XSP Logic Sheet:
http://opensource.socialchange.net.au/ldaptaglib/docs/

...Please list any more you know here...

*Read/Write Libraries*

Virtual Data Center Project (My Project:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/thedata)
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/thedata/VDC/src/UIS/Taglib/

    Strengths:
        Implements most of the JNDI DirContext methods for accessing
LDAP Directory Content.
        (search, getAttributes, modifyAttributes, createSubcontext,
DeleteSubcontext).
        Environment can be intialized from properties file.
        Context can be stored at any scope.
        Developed in Forte, can be easily modified there for my purposes.

    Weaknesses:
        Only one developer
        Doesn't implement other JNDI Context methods for things like
object binding capabilities.
        Long term future uncertain as a grant funded project.
        Tag libraries built in Forte, lots of generated tld and java
code from Forte, may hinder further development in other development
platforms.
        Doesn't meet Jakarta Taglib development guidelines, not JSTL
like in design.

...Please list any more libraries you know here...

On a side note, I also developed a Saxon Extension that does some
rudimentary DSML generation from JNDI search results. This allows a JNDI
source to be queried from inside Saxon's XSLT Transform.
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/thedata/VDC/src/UIS/Saxon/

-Mark