From "Karl von Randow" <k...@cactuslab.com>
Subject RE: advice on extending the Input tags
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:40:03 GMT
Hi Noah,

I think it was just time that meant the getters were omitted. I am
making some modifications to the input taglib at the moment, which will
hopefully be committed soon. Unless anyone can thing of a reason not to
I'll add getters for all the attributes.

Cheers,
k@rl

-----Original Message-----
From: Noah Davis [mailto:noahd1@nyc.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, 14 October 2002 6:04 a.m.
To: taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: advice on extending the Input tags

Hi -

Recently I embarked to extend the Input tags and came across a couple
snags. My goal was to leave the source code to the input tags untouched,
so that I could simply replace that jar on input tag new releases. The
snags were simple, and all have to do with package visibility, and was
wondering if this visibility was purposeful. If so, I can live with the
(literally 4 or so) lines of additional code I had to add, but if the
changes could be incorporated or someone has a better suggestion, I'm
all ears.

Using my own package name for these extended tags, I cannot access any
of the attributes of these tags (there are no public getters -
specifically, I need the value of the "name" attribute), nor make use of
the "Util" class (less of a big deal, but would be nice - the
printAttributes method is useful). That's it.

I am willing to contribute these tags to the open source community, but
I'm not entirely sure people would find them useful and they also
compromise the simplicity of the input tag library which is one of its
greatest strengths. Thanks for any help and I appreciate the hard work
everyone's doing.

Noah