From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject Re: [String] stablizing release
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:06:18 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Hey Glenn,
>
> I'm not planning the JSTL stuff immediately, just some refactoring of tags
> and a few additions, so I'd like to go and make a stable release of the
> CVS soon. My sandbox is starting to get quite different. Do you think a
> milestone as Shawn suggested, or a beta?

A milestone means that not all features have been implemented.
A beta means that all features are implemented but the release isn't
considered production quality yet.

So it depends on the state of the String taglib.

You could do a 1.0 beta release of the String taglib with its current
features, then if there are no bugs do an official 1.0 release a few
weeks later.

Any new features for the String taglib could be in a 1.1 release.

We really need to get better at having official stable releases of the taglibs.
Many won't consider using something if it hasn't had an official release.

> Basically I aim to have a stable jar built, placed in the releases dir,
> hooked up to the site, and then I'll throw a bunch of tags out of
> CVS and merge them. A kind of tag-name normalisation.
>
> What's the process with Taglib deploying? Do you admin them and handle the
> builds, or is it easier for you if I learn how to do so?

Follow the instructions at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/addtaglib.html

This will help you get the taglib ready for release, I can do the
final steps to build and publish the release.

Regards,

Glenn