From "Karl von Randow" <k...@cactuslab.com>
Subject RE: input tag library enhancement?
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2002 06:17:16 GMT
Hi Jason,

This is an interesting idea... I am at the moment attempting to add a
collection of improvements to the input taglibs. One of which solves the
same problem you are solving, but in a different way:

An attributesText parameter, eg. <input:text name="fieldName"
attributesText='size="50" class="small"'/>, is used to add the
attributes.
This has the side-effect of speeding conversion from static HTML.

I'm not quite sure where we're at on getting this into the main distro
though.

The method you propose seems clearer and more JSP like to me. However,
how would it work with a tag like the textarea tag which expects a body
of text as well... Might get white space problems?

Kind regards,
Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Gurney [mailto:jason@jasongurney.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 24 September 2002 5:35 p.m.
To: taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: input tag library enhancement?

I have an enhancement idea for the input tag library that might simplify
things somewhat for client developers.  It would involve adding nested
tags to handle HTML attributes as an alternative to the attributeMap.
The syntax for text input tags could look something like this:

<input:text name="fieldName">
    <input:attribute name="size" value="50"/>
    <input:attribute name="class" value="small"/>
</input>

(A similar approach could be used for <input:select> option values.)

Any thoughts on this enhancement?  If approved, I'd be happy to
implement the necessary changes.

Thanks,
-JG

For additional commands, e-mail: