From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: use of JSPTags
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:39:05 GMT
I think there are two distinct types of custom tag. UI tags and tags that
hide server-side work. Most of the Jakarta ones hide server-side work, in
fact you'll notice that the taglibs which tend to get in are the
server-side ones, while gui ones tend to falter and not get in.

For example I believe that a Calendar taglib has now been submitted 6
times.

Is this a good thing? I don't know. A UI taglib generally involves
outputting html and snippets of javascript. In this wonderful world of
ours this is usually a bitch to try and get to be cross-browser. If a UI
tag works well across browser, either because it's simple or well tested,
then I don't think it's a bad thing, but it goes outside the scope
of what Jakarta Taglibs as a project seems to focus on traditionally.

I'm all in favour of Widget/UI tags. Struts uses them to good effect. I
think there could be more use of them, maybe another project is needed to
deal with those.

Hen